Burgundy & Provence
A “Grand Cru” 9 night culinary & wine vacation designed for VinoDestinations:
October 4-13*, 2021
Dates could vary by 2-3 days maximum. Exact dates TBD by Jan 2020, and upon booking.
Travel agents; Margaret Miner, Debbie Stevens and Wendi Cartwright
"I had the most wonderful trip to Burgundy with you and Bliss Travels last September. As a former head of the Bordeaux wine society in Washington, DC, but a great lover of Burgundies, I can tell you that all of my expectations were exceeded, from the pre-Burgundy days in Paris , during which I experienced things I had not, despite living in Paris for almost 5 years, to the Burgundy Adventure - including where we stayed, the tours, both of Beaune and the chateaux, the teaching sessions, and the meals (Ah, the meals!) it was the best vacation of its type I had ever taken. "
- D.T. (Washington D.C. 2011)
"I did want to tell you that I was worried that our second trip (Burgundy) would not be as good as the first (to Provence) but WOW it was truly something special. I have never tasted such good wine! And your ability to get us in to places no one else gets to was outstanding. I appreciate your personal attention to detail and your ability to make it feel like we are traveling with friends-which we are now. Bordeaux Next!" -T.T. (Atlanta, GA 2013)
“I want you to know it was truly one of our best travel experiences ever” -C.W. (Washington DC 2018)
"You planned an awesome trip for us. Thank you for all of your hard work and great spirit that you put into making it a great trip. We look forward to our next adventure." -G.H. (Fla. 2016)
Our tasting philosophy is to provide a range of experiences from famous bucket list wines to small producers, from top ranked wines to the ones you’ve never heard of. You will taste things you can find in the US because they are so famous and taste things you’ll never taste again because they are so rare or production is so small.
Included in your trip price:
Custom planning and all consultations with Bliss Travels
Custom itinerary including all items outlined in the sample itinerary below, including reservations, confirmations services prepaid for your 9 night trip
Maximum size 12 to 14 guests. 4 room private luxury property, with 2 suites (upgrade is additional) and luxury boutique property (hotel/inn) 4 rooms (included).
Privately guided experiences only. No commercial or public tours
Private drivers and vans for all included transfers and excursions
Accompaniment by Bliss Travels
All onsite coordination
Top sommeliers, winemakers and chefs as well as our guides to enhance each day’s experiences.
Exclusive access events and special menus and bottles
Option to have Bliss Travels arrange “pre” or “post” trip days
Grand Cru travel designed to provide the ultimate experience
Custom trip with top wines and foods in a relaxed atmosphere. Personalized and small.
Sample Itinerary Outline
9 night culinary and wine vacation: 4 in Burgundy and 5 in Provence
luxury boutique hotels and inns for 9 nights
Daily gourmet breakfasts for 9 nights in both Burgundy and Provence to enjoy at your leisure
· Arrive Dijon.
· Private car/van pick up Dijon with intro Burgundy (for the group)
· Arrival and check in
· Orientation walking tour of historic Beaune
· Introduction to Burgundy wines, with introductory tasting
This first tasting is terroir based and we will look at typical examples of wines from the Cote de Beaune and Cote de Nuits. Tastings will include numerous climats, including
Whites: Rully, Meursault village and 1er cru followed by a Grand Cru white.
Reds: Pommard 1er cru, a Gevry Chambertin 1er cru and Volnay or Chambolle Musigny.
· Private tour of 14th Century cellar and barrel tasting of Burgundy wines (red and white, including 1er cru) led by the boutique winemaker. This is not a commercial experience.
· Welcome dinner with a follow up to terroir and further wines.
· Wine and cheese pairing in a wine cellar
Private cellar tasting led by a sommelier:
Our second tasting will focus on Domaines and winemakers to highlight their impact on terroir. We will taste wines from top producers such as Topinot Merme, Lucien La Moine, Amiot, Jacques Prieure, and the world renown Comte Lafon. These are some of the best winemakers in the world.
Taste cheeses like Delice de Bourgogne, Citeaux (made for over 400 years by the monks of that abbey), the world’s finest Comte cheese produced by Marcel Petit, truffle stuffed brie….
· Private driver/s and guide to visit and tour around tour of Cote de Nuit including visits to the world famous Grand Cru vineyards, with a focus on reds.
· Wine tasting in 2 domaines, with at least 2 monopoles and a variety of Grand Cru
· Return 6pm, time on your own
· Visit and tour of Cote de Beaune for a focus on the world famous whites
· Special private tasting of rare and small batch whites at a top domaine, and visit to the vineyards
Wines we will taste will include Chassagne Montrachet, Grand Cru Corton Charlemagne, Puligny Montrachet, 1er cru La Garenne and also two very special small batch wines, one 1er cru red, specially produced, with only 2 barrels made annually and the other a rare white 1er cru bordering the famed plot of Montrachet.
· 3 course farm to table gastronomic bistro for lunch or dinner, tbd. Special menu. 3 to 4 wines paired with meal.
· Morning off for biking, wine shopping, relaxation as people wish on their own
· Vintage bottle tasting
This tasting could include 1855 classified Grand Cru Bordeaux in vintage years of 1990 or earlier (this past year I was able to get a Laffite Rothschild for a group) as well as well as vintage Grand Cru Burgundy wines such as a 1973 Grand Cru Chablis as well as several 1er Cru from top years. These wines are from private collections and I choose the bottles as they come in from the estates. This is a truly rare experience.
· Lunch or dinner (tbd) at a Michelin starred restaurant, off menu specialties of the chef, paired with 3 wines
· Depart for Provence
· Transfer to Provence (4 hours)
· Arrival in Provence late afternoon
· Check in to Luxury inn in perched medieval village
· Orientation walking tour of the village
· Local casual dinner with and introduction to Provencal reds and roses, along with a storied local biodynamic wine.
· Visit to famous local vineyard near the former home of author Peter Mayle, with private tasting
Winery visit will include both Luberon and Ventoux classified wines, GSM blends
· Special (really) lunch in a private cellar with a world class collection —A homemade gastronomic meal including things like truffle gnocchi, Provencal roast chicken, home made tarts… with top Rhone and Chateauneuf du Pape wines.
including wines like Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe Chateauneuf du Pape, La Nerthe, Chateauneuf du Pape Chavy, Combier, Pibarnon….
· Evening on your own
· Morning off
· A mom and pop homemade lunch in a tiny perched village. The restaurant will be closed for us and lunch will be a special 3 course menu of Provencal specialties will be served to you. This is as authentic as it gets!
· A local wine tasting either in a chateau cave or in Chateau de Fontvert (who make some of the best local whites I’ve tasted)
· Artisan village visit to shop, visit a restored chateau, visit the galleries or relax
· 1/2 day on your own
· Possible Provencal market visit
· Private tasting and food pairing in a local artists gallery —includes top Chateauneuf du Pape wines in vintage years, Bandol roses, Cote du Rhone wines such as Gigondas, Carainne, Vacqueras, Crozes Hermitage… And wines from other regions/countries to compare terroir and grapes. Perhaps we’ll explore Priorat in Spain or Tuscan wines.
· Visit to an historical site that is a private home and a 3000 year old archeological site with a special art collection (with originals sought by the Louvre and various world class museums) along with a special sculpture garden with UNESCO originals.
· 3 course special lunch in Michelin starred restaurant with the chef who is a longtime friend. Wine pairings included.
· Private transfer to Avignon TGV station included (1 per 6 people)
PRICES AND PAYMENT
Price: 9 night trip $6,425 per person based upon double occupancy.
· Burgundy upgrades: Private inn upgrade ($100 per person/double room for the 4 nights total) and suite upgrade in private inn: $170 per person for the 4 nights total). All pricing based upon double occupancy
· Provence: there is 1 suite and one larger room with private terrace: Upgrade price: is $125 per person and $75 per person –for ALL nights total)
Rooms with views and room upgrades are assigned based upon order of deposit received and date of request (once deposits have been paid). No upgrades are assigned upon request without having a deposit on file with us.
To hold a spot on this trip please make an initial deposit of $500 per person. 2nd deposit of $500 per person will be due by Jan, 2020. Deposits are refundable only in the event of a cancellation by Bliss Travels or a price change. Deposits are nominative.
Airfare and trains and anything not specifically listed in the above itinerary as included. Anything marked "optional".
Order of itinerary items may change. The above is a template to outline inclusions and the level and type of trip offered.
Itinerary and the ideas therein are property of Bliss Travels. All parties reviewing this outline may share the outline but not the custom itinerary that is made for the travelers on this trip. All parties agree not to use that itinerary or cause that itinerary to be used without first making payment to Bliss Travels for preparation of same. Itinerary sharing is billed at $250 per person shared with (on social media, minimum bill is $1000). All readers clicking on this link agree to these terms as a condition of remaining on this web page.